Out with the old, in with the new.

As some of you may know, I have recently moved to a new location. I was previously working from home in my “Tool Room” which is a 12′ x 9′ space under the sunroom of my house. Once you consider the shelving and work bench perimeter there is about 5′ x 8′ of working space. I did the best with what I had and I’m truly amazed at what I was able to do with that tiny space.

However, as time moved on and the projects go larger – it was clear that I needed a larger space. Without going into too much detail (I will elaborate on this as it ties in with “The Vision” in another post. Stay tuned for that.) I have been given this great opportunity to work in this building. This building has an incredible amount of potential and I am truly excited about the future.

This new shop is a 2-story brick/block building with a low-ceiling height basement. As you will see in future pictures, there is a lot of work ahead of us and the funny thing is – that makes me very excited. It’s basically a blank slate – ready for all sorts of creativity and innovation. The “Shop” is located on the first floor, which is an open floor (no interior walls) and roughly 35′ x 25′, and 12′ high ceilings. WOW!! That is a HUGE improvement over the old shop, wouldn’t you agree?? The Second Floor is exactly the same, open floor with a sloped ceiling (exposed roof/rafters) about 14′ to 12′ (this is an approximation as I haven’t measured that height, yet… The Basement is the same open floor and dimensions only….. about 5 1/2 foot ceiling height. But, it is a great place to store lumber. (This separate location to store lumber really makes me excited.)

So, yes… a new shop building. It’s not all in use as of now. There are a few issues, but nothing that makes this a deal breaker for me. The roof leaks – and as a result there is a large portion of the second story floor that will need replaced. No Biggie… There are a few holes in the floor that the water then leaks to the shop, again – no big deal, it’s manageable and it’s not permanent. (when I worked from home, I had a portable car port that I would use outside….it had a lot more issues when it came to rain and weather….) The basement floods here and there – there’s a creek about 150 feet away, so….. this will be fixed down the road as well…the flooding, not the creek. The Rear of the building has some missing brick and exposed plywood – I’m guessing an old repair that has since been damaged as well. Oh, and the second story door that has one heck of a first step….. Eventually, we will add stairs and a new rear entry.

I’ve touched on a few of the issues and I’m sure there are some people that would say this is a lost cause or maybe I should look for something else or….. I first saw this building back in August of last year. I did a walk around the building and peaked through the window of the old rear door. YES, it was a mess….YES, it needed a lot of work…. YES, I was (and still am) very interested. As you will learn over the course of future posts, and getting to know me, us and “The Vision” – this isn’t just about me. This is going to grow beyond just me and a wood shop. And what better place to grow and change a community – than this building.

This building has come a LONG way in only a few short months. The inside was filled with JUNK. I would guess that AT LEAST 20 truckloads of garbage left this place – and that is probably an understatement. So far during the time I first got the keys we’ve done several improvements:

  • Removed the “JUNK”
  • Replaced the Front and Rear Doors
  • Removed the vines and overgrowth on the exterior of the building and property
  • Replaced floor and joists near rear door (previously was destroyed and rotted away)
  • Framed and installed new stud walls REAR, House SIDE REAR, House SIDE FRONT, and FRONT walls
  • Insulated, vapor barrier added and OSB covered wall sections
  • Replaced Rear Entry and added ramp

Not to mention the improvements made to the First Floor to make it a wood shop. Electrical including new LED lighting (All electrical done by Jorden Puskar and IntraLux Electric. Great work!) Working on getting gas – so far it’s been a little chilly, but space heaters have been keeping us going. The Roof repairs will be soon as well. Currently painting the walls of the shop that were recently done (the House side front and front window wall)

So, yes, there has been a lot of hard work to get to this point. There is still A LOT of work to come, but as I said before – No Biggie…. It’s not just about me.

I will be posting more about the building improvements with some better pictures and more details. Also, be on the look out for a post about “The Vision” and where we are heading.